You hear this word a lot, but do you really understand what they are and why they are important? Let’s dive into the world of antioxidants and learn why they should definitely be in your arsenal for anti-aging skincare.
What are Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are substances that prevent oxidative stress and pair with free radicals to stop the cycle of cellular damage. Antioxidants can be enzymes, vitamins or other plant-based molecules.
Oxidation occurs when energy or electrons from healthy cells split. These electrons like to be in pairs and when they are split, they are referred to as free radicals. Free radicals travel through the body looking for other electrons to steal from healthy cells. This oxidation and free radical scavenging cause a vicious cycle called oxidative stress which damages your cellular DNA, proteins and other vital molecules. This type of damage leads to cell malfunction or cell death… AKA aging, wrinkles, cancer and other skin maladies.
Common sources of oxidative stress:
- UV exposure: Sun exposure without SPF and zinc oxide protection damages the cellular DNA and creates free radicals.
- Poor sleep: Sleep is the time your body and skin is resting and repairing. Lack of sleep or poor sleep habits create stress and free radicals.
- Pollution: Automobiles, gases, smoking, ozone and dust are just a few of the daily pollutants wreaking havoc on our skin and bodies.
- Diet: Consuming foods that create acidity in the body causes free radicals. Avoid high glycemic index foods, processed foods, preservatives, sugar, caffeine, dairy products and meats from inhumanely raised, hormone infused animals. Instead try to eat a whole food, mostly plant based diet filled with colorful vegetables and fruits loaded with antioxidants.
So, why are antioxidants important in your skincare?
Antioxidants step in and give free radicals an electron to neutralize them and thus stop their cascade of damage. Your diet should be filled with antioxidants to fight oxidative stress inside the body. Unfortunately, most of what you eat does not make it from the gut to the skin to help. So, using antioxidants in your skincare products is essential to fight the damaging effects of oxidative stress and free radicals.
Feed your skin the nutrients it needs to fight oxidative stress, free radicals and premature aging. If you want smooth, healthy and radiant skin then antioxidant rich skincare products with ingredients formulated to absorb optimally are a must. At Mikel Kristi, we believe in nourishing your skin with safe, effective ingredients that restore and protect.
Topical Antioxidants that Work:
- Vitamin C
- Niacinamide Vitamin B3
- Retinaldehyde Vitamin A
- Prickly Pear Extract
- Grapefruit essential oils
- Orange Peel essential oil
- Red Algae Extract
Protect your skin from the damaging stressors with application of these potent antioxidants. For your best and healthiest skin, apply Mikel Kristi Vital A Rejuvenating Serum, Vital C Repair Serum and C Radiance Moisturizer. Go to Mikelkristi.com today to get started on your skin’s transformation.
Leave a comment (all fields required)